During rocky negotiations, Jorge Masvidal tells UFC ‘If I’m not worth it, let me go’


Jorge Masvidal is taking a page out of the Jon Jones playbook. The top welterweight contender has been growing increasingly frustrated with negotiations for his next fight and now, much as Jones one week earlier, has suggested the UFC release him from his contract if they don’t appreciate his services.

On June 2, Masvidal tweeted, “Shouldn’t be this hard to get a deal done #f—ery.” The tweet came as Masvidal has been tied to two potential fights: a title fight with UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman and a rematch with former BMF title opponent Nate Diaz. On Friday, Masvidal amped up his complaints over the negotiations.

First, Masvidal tweeted, “If I’m not worth it let me go.” Expanding on the idea of a release, Masvidal wrote, “Why make me fight for half of what I made on my last fight cause the other dude can’t draw?”

Last week, Jones went to war with the UFC and promotion president Dana White over similar complaints. Jones was willing to move up to heavyweight to fight one of the division’s best in Francis Ngannou. When negotiations broke down with White claiming Jones asked for $30 million and Jones claiming his demands were not that high, Jones said he was vacating the light heavyweight championship and suggested the UFC release him from his contract if they didn’t value what he brought to the table.

At the time, White claimed the current economic situation — during a global pandemic forcing the promotion to hold events without fans in attendance — was the worst possible point to demand an increase in pay.

Masvidal seemed to shoot down any complaints of that nature in another tweet, writing, “Don’t tell me about a pandemic when reports today show highest stock market has ever been. Everybody getting back to work and you buying an island. Stop playing us and the fans #theawakening.”

Masvidal’s current run, taking out Darren Till, Ben Askren and Nate Diaz in explosive fashion, along with his appealingly rough persona, have positioned him as one of the biggest stars in the promotion.

“History lesson for all the new fans that might have just started following my beautiful sport: 16 [years] been at this. Never once turned down a fight. Asked to go fight No. 3 at the time in his hometown across the pond after a year off. KO of the year nominee. Asked to fight No. 5.

“At the time and lets be real didn’t have to fight him. Fastest KO in the history of UFC. Msg I am asked to fight 3 different guys and I said yes to all three. I fought in backyards and those dudes never disrespected me the way I’m being now.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *